Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Conversions

Folks-
Knowing how to increase or decrease the size of a recipe is important. To do it properly, you kind of have to know how to convert your volumes. Mostly because here in the U.S. we use units that are not related to each other in any logical way.
To help us all out, I'm going to put here some useful conversions, and update it as I remember some, and look up some conversion factors later.
One thing I should note is a convention i use here that my youngest found confusing: if I mean "one and a half" of something, I will write it as "1-1/2". My youngest read that as "one to one half" which is incorrect in several ways (I would go smaller to larger in a situation where there is a range anyway). I write it that way so you don't see "1 1/2" and because of the way your browser renders it, you think to yourself "eleven halves". That would also be incorrect. "1-1/2" is always "one and a half" on this site, just as "1-1/4" is "one and a quarter".

1 tbsp = 3 tsp (1/2 tbsp = 1-1/2 tsp)
1 fluid oz = 2 tbsp
1 cup = 16 tbsp = 8 fluid oz
Therefore, 1/4 cup = 4 tbsp = 2 fluid oz, and 1/8 cup = 1 fluid oz = 2 tbsp
1 pint = 2 cups = 16 fluid oz = 32 tbsp
1 quart = 2 pints = 4 cups = 32 fluid oz = 64 tbsp
1 gallon = 4 quarts

No comments:

Post a Comment