Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Peanut Butter Granola

Folks-
Holy cats! Another post? What am I thinking?
Today I'm posting a recipe I found at Food.com. I modified it, as usual (the original recipe used margarine instead of olive oil, called for added salt, used 3 cups of oatmeal instead of 2, omitted the bran, and included none of the optional seeds or nuts. So, yeah, I've played with this recipe a lot.) My middle child loves this!
My favorite version is posted below. I usually use an Unsalted creamy natural peanut butter without saturated fats or sugar. I've also used maple syrup instead of the honey with some success. If you want to add dried fruit, I recommend adding it after it is cooling off.
Here it is! My variation of the Hillbilly Housewife Peanut Butter Granola Recipe:



Peanut Butter Granola

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/3 Cup Peanut Butter
1/3 Cup Honey
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 Cups Oatmeal
1 Cup Unprocessed Bran

Optional:
1/2 Cup Sliced Almonds
1/2 Cup Raw Shelled Pumpkin Seeds
and/or
1/2 Cup Raw Unsalted Shelled Sunflower Seeds

Heat together olive oil, honey, and peanut butter for about 30 seconds in a microwave. Mix together and add vanilla extract. Add bran and oatmeal and toss to coat completely. Spread on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 5 minutes. Stir and add optional ingredients, spread onto the sheet and bake another 5 minutes. Cool and store in a tightly sealed container. Note: watch it closely while baking since it will burn easily at the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment