Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Clam and Cheese Chowder

Folks- It's been a long time since I updated any of my sites, and due to requests, I'm going to start updating this site more often. I've already gotten a few recipes backlogged, so I'll be able to keep going for at least a little while. I'm going to start to with a recipe that my mom started, and I modified. My kids claim it's the best they have ever tasted: Clam Chowder. This one is just perfect for cold weather, especially with fresh bread. -Edly
Eleanor & Ed's Clam & Cheese Chowder
Ingredients: 
2 T Butter
1 T Diced Onion 
2 Cubed Russet Potatoes 
1/2 Cup Water
2 Cans Minced Clams (Do not drain)
2-3 Strips Cooked Bacon, crumbled 
1 T Chopped Parsley
1/2 lb Cubed Whole Milk Mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese
1 Package of Onion or Potato & Leek Soup Mix, sifted for the onions or  3 T French Fried Onions
1 Cup Heavy Cream 
2 1/2 Cups Milk 
3/4 Cup Instant Potato Flakes
 
 
Directions: Melt the butter in a pot and add potatoes and diced onion. Add water, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender. Add clams with the juice in the can, bacon, parsley, onion soup, and cheese and stir until cheese melts. Add cream, milk, and instant potatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes. Alternatives: 1. Use Monterey Jack cheese instead of the Mozzarella. 2. Use 1 1/2 Cups of Whipping Cream instead of the Heavy Cream, and 2 Cups of Milk instead of 2 1/2 Cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment